I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Leaving LaLa Land

One of my weaknesses is that I have a tendency to go to "LaLa Land". This is a place in my head where reality never enters. I can go there any time I want whenever life is hard or the future is bleak. It is not really a pleasant place, it is just a place of nothingness; a vacuum of sorts where I can continue to get by without facing my fears or really think about the outcome of my actions.

I am not sure exactly when LaLa Land appeared, but I have a suspicion that it was there pretty early in my life. Growing up on a farm meant that I often had long, boring, redundant chores to do and they were more easily endured when I could just go to that blank space in my head and fill it with anything I wanted. My hands might be shoveling manure but my brain was miles away, conjuring up some story or remembering something in the past or daydreaming about tomorrow. In those instances, LaLa land provided a little relief from the very unpleasant reality of the job I was doing. Probably everyone has a place like that somewhere in their head, it is not neccessarily a bad thing, it helps us endure sometimes.

But, I think that in some cases, LaLa Land becomes sovereign and begins to rule the other parts of the brain. And that has been my problem at different points of my life. When I have really needed to have the guts to face the truth about myself, LaLa land invades and pulls me back to the false security of unreality. Somehow, not thinking about how things really are or what the real outcome of my actions could be makes truth diminish and the pleasant, sweet lie takes over that always whispers everything will just somehow "turn out ok."

Well, it doesn't. LaLa Land is a place of slavery and pain. And even though I might have gone there alone, it always ends up dragging others into its misery. Those I love have often had to pay for my little excursions into that black hole.

LaLa Land is really a landfill. It might look like a pleasant little hill covered with green grass rising up out of the prairie, promising a wonderful view and an escape from world below, but it is really just a big pile of, well....Garbage.

Life is hard right now. Reality is painful. I am in the land of tough choices and harsh consequences. But it is the land of truth. It is the land of the living. It is the only place that growth can occur and authentic change take place. I feel like I am in the wilderness putting my survival skills to the test, but it is where I am supposed to be right now. The frustration and anxiety I feel have redemptive qualities, they drive me to my knees and keep my feet from wandering back towards LaLa land. I am ashamed of how much time I have spent there in the past, how much of real life I wasted and how many opportunities I squandered.

But, here and now is here and now, and I intend to live fully in it and be transformed by the One who is ever-present and ever near.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I wonder if I've been spending my spring break in LaLaLand since I got over the flu. Yup--there's a signpost with the name right on it!

Donna G said...

I hope La-La land doesn't equate to dreamland....I think we all need an escape vehicle to get away from too much reality. Of course we can't live there.....but, I do spend some time there daily!