I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Things I Still See When I Close My Eyes

Things I still see when I close my eyes:

Cascading streams of reds and purples falling to dark green fields and
skinny legs running from flashing strobes and
a wagon full of alfalfa rolling to the barn and
sweat dripping on my shoes and
stupid grins and open hymnals and
tears dripping on I Corinthians 13 and
a wiser young preacher trembling out the words and
baptized ribs smoking over charcoal and
dirty plates stained with blackberry juice and
faces fresh and smooth and
faces wearing days and
eyes full of good byes and
a road that leads to home and
another holy day gone through us.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Those baptized ribs sound good!