I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Out at Home

I am trying to tell myself it doesn’t matter. After leading the National League Central Division for most of the season the Cardinals have lost six in a row and are losing in the bottom of the ninth tonight against San Diego. They began the last week of the season up by 6 games and in Cubesque (?) fashion are about to lose 7 in a row while the Astros, a tiny dot in the rear view mirror just days ago have won the last 7 games and have pulled almost even with us.

I think they need my help. I am going to call Pujols or Edmonds or Rolen or anyone who will pick up the phone and offer them some advice and encouragement. Maybe tell them that I am praying for them and stuff. I might send them the Purpose Driven Line Drive or Wild Pitch at Heart or some other motivational book to remind them that we were all created to play baseball and we only find our true selves when we finally slide safely into home. Sure, there are some out there that claim football is the true religion but the faithful know better. After all, football is violent and dangerous and baseball is unfathomable and mysterious…just ask the Cubs. Besides, Genesis 1:1 starts with God creating the world in “the big inning” and the rest is all statistics. So, what is needed here is for the Cardinals to simply return to the “old base paths” and get rid of those free agents of change and start playing Brock and Gibson and Musial again and maybe even find Ozzie out there. That’s when Cardinal baseball was winning the nation.

Well, they lost again, why isn’t Larussa answering his cell phone?

5 comments:

Donna G said...

This is why it is almost a relief to me that the Braves aren't in it this year....I don't have that sick to my stomach feeling every night when they are playing...

Go Cards! (that is just for you, truly I am apathatical about it all.)

Jeff said...

I don't know what your problem is. Albone told me the other day that it's been football season since July.

Donna G said...

You are right Allen, I slipped there for a minute....Of course it will be hard for me to say Go Cubs too!

Do you think Maddox will wear a Cubs uniform in the Hall of Fame? I guess he should, although I sure did like him as a Brave.

Donna G said...

Oh good! We do agree on that!

Sorry Mark we kind of strayed from your ailing red birds

mark said...

That's ok, it just tells me how far my life is in the sewer when Cub and Braves fans use my blog as a forum to discuss who gets to own Maddox in the HOF! Now I know the Cards are done for the season!