I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Gray Skies and Rainbows

It is finally, officially the new year, with the last bowl game ending last night. Now is the season for stupid fill-in sitcoms. Maybe since the wicked witch has cast her spell and we are trapped in perpetual gray it would be soothing to find a warm light and some good books.

The new year is a time of looking back and looking ahead, and depending on how the looking back goes, we are either glad to be moving on or sad to see it go. Sometimes it is a mixture of both. I am old enough now to know that a change of calendar doesn't mean a change of heart, a boost of strength, a brilliant insight nor a sudden transformation of character. But it can mean a deeper gratitude for grace given, a new beginning gift-wrapped in hope, and a heart pointed in the right direction, determined to love and not harm God's children in any way.

Redemption is beyond me, as much as I wish I could bring it about and make everything ok, but even that is tainted by my own selfish, sinful nature. I find that whatever good I want to do, evil is always tagging along behind, accusing me and reminding me that even in my prayers I can't escape looking out for my own interests; that I will feel better myself if I know somehow that everyone else is happy. I do live in a body of death. It can never be fixed, only rescued. So I look to him who even from the cross was able be self-less. And I stand amazed in the presence.

My resolution for today of this fresh year is to not turn and question and reject that presence, and to not pull his fingers off of me. I finally understand that I cannot rely on my grasp of him, for He is beyond my reach, but I can completely trust in His hand to not let go.

So I begin this year with so many uncertainties about the future. But on the other hand, the one that matters most, I begin the year with the certainty of God. Grayness never wins.

8 comments:

Donna G said...

Beautifully put. Like the old song says "hold to God's unchanging hand".

As for TV, I limit my time in front of the tube but I am a fan of 24! It starts next week! Give it a go.

mark said...

I have never seen 24, but have been curious about it. Is it a new season beginning...hour 1? Thanks for the idea! Sorry Albone....not sure about American idol, I have a problem with any show that doesn't recognize the jug or spoons as magnificent instruments!

Chris said...

Just remember - no more Christian - uh - wimps!

mark said...

So, Chris....I assume you and Albone are speaking....lol.

Donna G said...

Yep, whole new season! See what old Jack Bauer is going to do to escape death by the skin of his teeth this year. There may be some vague references to previous seasons, but it pretty much stands alone....like I said, give it a go!

Chris said...

LOL - and thanks again!

Dwiggy444 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dwiggy444 said...

(peeking in cautiously and looking both ways before posting...)

As I too look ahead to the "new year", it's funny how hard the past holds on. The irony was thick in the air this morning and I couldn't help but think "Early onset Alzheimer's might not be too bad after all..."