I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

I Heard That Jesus Might Come Back Tomorrow...

I spend a lot of time worrying about things that wouldn't matter at all if I knew Jesus was arriving here tomorrow morning. But since I can't be sure of that, there is still business to take care of in order to get by in this world. But if I knew for sure that he was coming in the morning or even at the end of the week, or next month, or before the year was out, how everything on my "to do" list would change!
I wonder if that is how the first generation of Christians felt? I am trying to read through the New Testament letters in the chronological order they were written. I am also attempting to read each one as a letter, in one sitting, and get the feel of what it was like to receive these letters as crucial information about how to live as a follower of the Messiah Jesus. In other words, I am trying not to read them as the New Testament as we understand it after two thousand years, but as real words from the Spirit inspired witnesses of Jesus, addressed to me in my current situation. So far, here is what has impressed me.

First, I think all of them, from the apostles to newest convert, lived in serious expectation and anticipation of the imminent return of Jesus. And why not? The last time anyone saw Jesus he was alive. And he said he would be back. Why think that wouldn't be soon? Noone expects a sequel to be ten, fifteen or fifty years later! And why wouldn't he come back soon? Why wait? Especially if he loved them as he claimed to love them, why tarry and not have a great reunion?

Second, they truly struggled living in the world knowing it really wasn't their home anymore. Some, as in the Thessalonian letter, quit working and basically spent their time idly waiting for Jesus. Many of their questions dealt with what to do in the present age that was passing away. If everything is temporary, how much time, money and effort should be invested in it? In Paul's letter to the Corinthians there is some shocking advice....Stay in the condition your were called, if married stay married but live as if you're not; if single stay that way if you can; live in the world as if you don't belong to it.

Third, their worship and lifestyle was to reflect the nearness of Jesus, both in his actual return and in his spiritual presence. When they gathered, he was there, just unseen. When they prayed, he heard because he was close to them. When they ate together he ate with them. When they sinned they were to confess, repent and move on knowing they were forgiven and there was not time to wallow in it. If someone else was caught in sin there was an urgency to restoring them, because Jesus was present and was returning soon. If they were joyful it was because of hope. If they were generous it was because it was the best way to use their fading earthly wealth.

I know that the letters that came later began to reflect more of a "settled" Christianity, a faith that perhaps needed to be ready for the long haul, but I have appreciated being caught up in thinking that Jesus is coming soon. One thing for sure, his return is closer now than it was then. So, can I appropriate that urgency in my life? Can I live preparing for "return" more than "retirement"? Can I work, not only to provide a living, but to also provide a "life" for others. Can I live in this world without holding on to any of it?

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Many thanks for this--the short version in person this morning as well as the full written version! It has helped put some temporary interpersonal difficulties at work in the right context.

Donna G said...

If we could remember this everyday of our lives we would be so much more relaxed.

I think we even forget when our church families come together that we are to expect him to be in our presence....that is truly sad.

mark said...

We do forget, I think, because of the emphasis in our individualistic culture on having a "personal" relationship with Christ. Scripture always has the emphasis on faith within a community, reflecting the very triune nature of God. I really do believe Jesus is there in a special way when two or three gather in his name. It has also caused me to be much more careful and appreciative of the church, and makes me regret more deeply sins I have committed against his children.
I hope you are feeling better and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for an inspiring post. I needed this today and was moved by considering what my life would be like if I only kept in mind the urgency and nearness of Christ's return.