I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting Started! (Well almost).

I have finished my training for my new job as a financial Rep. I feel like I have been drinking from a fire hose for the past three weeks. There is so much to learn. Honestly, even though I had alot of business classes in college, I found most of it to be confusing and boring. This time though I am pretty fascinated by it all, and really wish I had paid more attention earlier.

This job will challenge me to be all the things that I am not normally good at it. I have to be very disciplined (yea I know, some of you are laughing already), organized and tuned in to the real world instead of LaLa land. I am thankful that not only do my mentor's know my weaknesses in these areas but they are committed to challenging me and providing solutions. There are so many things I have to change but I am committed to the process.

One thing I heard over the training period that really impacted me was when one of the instructors said: "You have to create an environment that won't allow you to fail." I have thought alot about that statement in view of my personal history and realize more than ever how essential that is. In the business world it involves creating excellent habits, surrounding yourself with people who are positive and challenging, not trying to do it alone but seeking advice when you need it, giving yourself totally to your work when you are there then closing the book on the day and giving yourself to your family and friends. Does any of this sound applicable to any other areas of our lives? I have prayed that God would help me to change my life and now I find myself in a situation where I must change to succeed and provide for my family. I failed God, my family and many good, loving people. I wasn't destined for failure, but I created the environment in which it could happen. With the help of God, family and friends I will be about the business of building life back on a rock foundation.

So why am I home blogging instead of working? I got sick last night and feel "mostly dead" all over today. Hopefully, whatever this is will soon run it's course and I can start Monday. I saw this phrase yesterday not knowing it would be useful today since all my plans were shot: "Turn Frustration into Fascination." So today, I will try to do what I can to learn something from this and take a step forward.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

Well, I am glad you are only "mostly dead" otherwise we would be going through your pockets looking for loose change...


It is amazing how far we can fall if we do not tie on some support ropes. We will all slip from time to time, but to keep from falling we have to have the safeguards securly tied to us....

I too have learned some of that the hard way.

One small piece of advice...read CNN Money
everyday. It is my home page (I can gage interest rates by watching the 10 Yr Treasury) but it gives you a lot of financial information and will help you think in those terms...It is my homepage on my computer.

mark said...

Thanks Donna, great advice. I appreciate your encouragement and prayers.