I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Spring Rules

It is Spring on the prairie.
Up here that means you cover up the sunburn
you got on Saturday with a sweater on Sunday.
It means you stand in mud while
getting stoned with the smell of lilacs.
It means brilliant green grass and violets
accessorized with diamonds of frost.
It means birds, early birds,
and insanely early birds doing their version of hip-hop.
It means shadows of clouds and bursts of sun-
cold, hot, cold, hot-feminine and fickle and always surprising.
It means tacky, overdone and undisciplined,
an orgy of color that brashly yells "look at me!"
It means perfumed breezes combined
with the stench of rotting earthworm carcasses.
Spring is ridiculous, crazy, overdone and a tease
we can't live with or without.
It is glorious purple splashed against green,
born from autumn's hope and winter's labor.
It is birth, new and ancient, squeezed out of death and mess
like our baptisms are.
And like birth and the new birth, spring could care less
about our schedules, it arrives when it wants too.

1 comment:

mark said...

I have been praying for you and your family. I will be gone for a while so I will call you when I can. Have a good week.