I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Alternate Ending

So here is the alternate ending to the car story, since most of you have figured out by now that the first ending wasn't exactly how it happened. But sometimes it is hard to seperate reality from a glorious daydream.
After it became obvious to me that my car was beyond my abilities to heal, that it was still pouring down rain, that my son was very tired and embarassed about the quality time we were having together, I succumbed to the despairing truth and called a tow truck and had it towed to a garage. The next morning they called and said the starter had given it up and it would be several hundred dollars to repair. Since I have a really good relationship with the mechanic, (after all, I have put his kids through college) he asked me if I wanted to fix it or just sign the title over to him so that he could harvest the few remaining decent parts. Since I had no real choice and I knew he was having way to much fun at my expense, I told him to go ahead and put a starter in it. Then he said, "And oh, by the way, do you know someone put the wrong serpentine belt on it?"
There it was, the ancient serpentine belt, the slithering, insidious, unending rubber demon from the automobile version of Sheol that had reared its nasty head again. It seems that the parts store had sold me the wrong one to begin with and I had spent all the previous day installing it. I know there is irony in there somewhere, but I am not really looking for it.
So, I am back in the Taurus.....whose sign has something to do with a "Bull." Now I am finally understanding why.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

that sly serpentine will get you everytime...

I put a few mechanics/body repair men's children through school as well.