I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bel and Nebo

Bel bows down, Nebo stoops low;
their idols are borne by beasts of burden.
The images that are carried about are burdensome,
a burden for the weary.
They stoop and bow down together;
unable to rescue the burden,
they themselves go off into captivity.

Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since you were conceived,
and have carried since your birth.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Isaiah 46:1-4

I should have asked more questions and been more honest in my religion. I didn't comprehend that true faith is the gift of God, conceived and delivered by him. How much time was spent carrying around the burden of my own fashioned gods. I worked hard to make him presentable and shiny, attractive to the masses so that I would be successful in ministry. And I remember the weariness of all that, trying to keep myself and others happy and interested, trying to create an experience of God that would bring them all back.
The real test is this: Am I being carried by God, or is he being carried by me?

"Come to me, all you who labor and are weary......"

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Whether we recognize it or not, He is carrying us.

Donna G said...

I think we all are guilty of not being honest....and we are encouraged to keep our doubts and our frustrations to ourselves..

I think this is the major appeal of blogging!