I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What do you think?

"Let the wicked forsake their way, and the unrighteous their thoughts;
let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." -Isaiah 55:7

Where do thoughts come from? I am always amazed by the way the brain works (or sometimes doesn't work). How does something suddenly pop in our head-a memory of something, an idea, or a sudden decision or insight? Where does that impulse come from? Is it just an electrical surge from the chemicals of our brain? A thought...something we ponder, a flash of a past event, a grief, a happiness, a hope, a funny stream of words in our brain that makes our body reacte in laughter.....? How does that happen? And are all our thoughts, the thousands that come in our brain every day, all ours? Do thoughts come from somewhere outside ourselves?
I do know that our thoughts can lead us astray, but how? I do know we can think right things or wrong things. And I know we can choose to some degree what we think about, otherwise we could never "repent," literally "change our mind." Isaiah goes on to say, speaking for the Lord: "My thoughts are not your thoughts...." that his thoughts are much, much higher than ours, higher than the heavens above the earth.
Yet Paul says we can have the mind of Christ...we can think like Jesus!
I am not sure about how all this happens, someone probably has thought it through and has a good theory....but how?
I am glad though, that my thoughts do not have to control me, that I can forsake them and think like Jesus.....some of the time. I can also think like the devil if I want to...or maybe they are his thoughts he is bombarding me with.
Sharing our thoughts can be good or bad also. Sometimes it is uplifting and encouraging and helpful and other times it can be just passing on the bad thoughts and infecting someone else.
What do you think?

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Sometimes only by verbalizing or writing down my thoughts can I work through them and figure out what is really going on in my head... other times I would be well advised to keep my mouth shut (or pen closed). Unfortunately it seems that these are the times my mouth runs out of control...