I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Desert blindness

I have been reading in the book of Numbers lately, since it comes directly after Leviticus and Exodus. I have to admit that I get a little bored with the details, especially in Leviticus, but at just the point where I am ready to fall asleep the author throws in a short narrative that rousts me out of my stupor. And usually, the narrative recounts how the children of Israel keep screwing up, with dire consequences. So you suddenly get fire from heaven consuming prideful (or stupid) priests, snake bites, a tsunami of quail (wouldn't Cheney have fun with that!), the earth swallowing up people, plagues and other stuff that would make an exciting television drama....Think "40 years" in "24" format.

I struggle with the stories sometimes. I believe that Moses, who probably recorded all these events, was preparing the Israelites to enter the promised land by reminding them of their history. Honestly, it is hard to comprehend how they can appear to be so faithless throughout the story. They are always whining, pining away for Egypt, rebelling against Moses and Aaron or generally just acting like God was either absent or deaf, blind and senile. All they ever had to do was look up and there he was-either in the cloud or fire. So Moses doesn't clean up the story, he tells it like it was, and warns them what will happen if they do it again. He reminds them that Adam and Eve lost their home because of disobedience, that God wiped the earth clean in Noah's day and that the land they are about to conquer is given to them as a gift but is also a judgment on the current inhabitants.

It was a very unique time. God's presence was undeniably among them. He led them. He fed them. He brought them to water. He conquered their enemies. He worked behind the scenes to protect them when their enemies tried to curse them. Every thing God said he would do he did in their lifetime. At any time they could see his presence in the cloud by day and fire by night. When it was time to move, it was absolutely clear-the presence of God lifted and led the way. How much faith did it take in those days? The problem wasn't whether they believed God existed or not, it was whether or not they could trust him who was always visibly and deliberately among them. Their questions were never how can we be sure there is a God, but rather Can we really trust you to take care of us? And they questioned God under the shade of a cloud that shielded them from the sun and a fire by night to light their way. And each day they were fed from heaven and when they were thirsty God watered them.

I struggle with how they could so easily ignore what seemed so obvious. But honestly, I do the same things. The Exodus teaches me that even if God was visibly present in an undeniable way outside my window every day and night, I would still, when times got tough, doubt whether he was really for me or not. I would question his motives. I would ponder his ability to deliver on his promises. I would eventually not even notice his presence. The miraculous would become mundane.

I do that now. Times are tough. The landscape looks a lot like the Mojave. And I find myself ignoring the obvious examples of God's love and provision and whining about what I do not have....And then, of all things, be tempted to blame Him for it! How pitiful is that?

The miracle is God's patience. The cloud that relieves me from the heat is his rich, abundant mercy. The fire that defeats my darkness is unfailing love. The manna that sustains me is his faithfulness even when I am unfaithful. The refreshing water that relieves my parched tongue is his Spirit. The angel that leads the way is His Word, which disciplines and comforts me.

Lord, please protect me from the desert blindness that blinds me to the obvious.

3 comments:

Donna G said...

I have heard it 100 times but this weekend when I read "God sent Jesus into the world not to condemn it, but to save it" it finally sunk in and brought me peace to see beyond the last time I have let him down......he knew I would, and he died for me anyway!


**The children of Isreal in "24" format? I think you have become an addict... I like it!**

mark said...

yes, I am addicted...so is there a 12 step program for a "24" addiction?
Isn't that just the most hopeful, comforting passage in the world? It is amazing to me how I never had the joy of hearing that passage growing up without all the additional commentary which always ended up in baptism.....

Donna G said...

Yeah, it is a wonder as I "meet" so many who have "survived" our heritage that we still have a strong faith that is uniquely our own. The legalistic backgrounnd we have is not the most fertile ground for growing that faith....