I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Shane!

Today is the birthday of my youngest son, Shane. He is now officially a teenager, all 88.6 lbs. of him. I know his exact weight because he wrestles for the Junior High, and is really pretty good. My dream is that one day he will make the WWF and his name will be something like Shotgun Shane or even Nakie Boy (see Brandon's Blog). And if by chance you do go to his brother's blog, there are a few corrections that need to be made. First, we "planned" on Shane being born at our home, we didn't just decide that night because it was icy and second, we usually didn't let Shane go a whole week between Showers. The part about his hair really stinking was true though.

I am surprised that Shane has survived. He was dropped many times. One day when he was only 6 months old his sister, Micah and brother, Brandon were fighting over who would carry him downstairs and somehow in the scuffle they both just let go....and Shane went rolling down an oak staircase. I remember him crying a little....not much really, considering his flight. His brother and sister ended up crying a lot more than he did.

Being the youngest, he has been shoved, pulled, stretched, experimented on and tickled more than any person should ever have to endure. Maybe that is why he is such a good wrestler. What is a head lock compared to being on the bottom of the dogpile with three siblings on top of you?

He really is a wonderful kid that brings us laughter and works hard at everything he does. It is hard for me that he is now a teenager, because it means he really isn't a little boy anymore. But I know that is the way it is supposed to be and I will enjoy this time as well. I am truly blessed to have him as my Son....and to think we didn't even have to bring him home from the hospital! He laid in our arms in our own bed that first night.....and pretty much has always always done that since, always plopping down between us for a few minutes before he goes to his own bed. And those few minutes are golden. Happy Birthday, Shane! We love you.

And now I will rub your stinky feet since you have stuck them both up in my face. Remember to take a shower, even if it is your birthday.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

Ahh the precious teenage years!

Happy Birthday Shane. I hope your older sister was better to you than I was to my baby brother. But don't worry some day you will be best friends!

Donna G said...

March 1, 2006
Today is prayer day. I am praying for you and your family (privately)....just wanted you to know.