I grew up in the woods of the Ozarks in Southern Missouri. A tree lives with roots planted in the earth and limbs lifted toward the heavens. I too am trying to grow deep roots while lifting my hands toward God.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Happy Birthday, Carden

Today my son Carden turns 17. The only thing he really wants for his birthday is catfish for supper and the abandoning of the completely lame "curfew" philosophy. I know for sure we will be having catfish tonight.....

Why do I feel older every time one of my kids have a birthday?

There is so much I want to say to each of them, so many stories and warnings and adventures and.....

They really aren't that interested right now, and I understand. I wasn't either at their age. After all, every day is an adventure for them. They disguise it as hopeless boredom, but their hearts are really racing and their minds are at warp speed.

I worry that I have really done them more harm than good. But generally, they still like me and I know I love them like crazy. I want to equip them for everything life will throw at them and then tag along everywhere they go just to make sure they will be ok.

They would prefer me not to do that.

Each child has a special memory corner in my heart. And since today is Carden's day, well, here are some I hope I can share without him suing me later for damages.

He was a beautiful child...for Halloween one year we dressed him up as a little girl....and everyone thought "she" was very pretty.

One day when he was in first grade the bus driver brought him back to our door. When she arrived at the bus stop on the corner she found him hanging upside down from a tree he had climbed. He had slipped and his ankle wedged in a crook of the trunk. He was fine, she just thought we should know....

When he was three he snuck out of the house and tried to follow his older brother and sister to the store, across a busy highway. Someone stopped traffic and brought him home.

He took a ride once in a highway patrol car. His older brother convinced him they should ride their bikes out to where I was working...and since the interstate was the quickest way....

His first athletic physical....The nurse handed him the "cup" and an alcohol towellette, telling him to clean the "area" and use the cup. Afterward he asked me why he had to clean the bathroom if he didn't miss the cup, so he just wiped down the toilet and floor a little bit......

Baptizing him into Jesus.

His rendition of "Lord of the Dance" at the King of Hearts banquet....

This sweet kid is now the biggest primate in our house. He is at least 6'2" tall and I have skied on smaller skis than the size of his shoes. On a good day, with help, I couldn't get a dress on him again.

He is a great son, and I love him dearly and am very proud to be his Dad. Happy Birthday, Carden.

One day I hope to grow up and be like my kids.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I love the "cleaning the area" story!

Sounds like a great kid. Hope his special day is great!